Office of Admissions
You have made an important choice in becoming students at Leech Lake Tribal College. Congratulations! Success here will have far-reaching and positive impacts on not only your lives, but also your family, your communities, and your people. Student Services is committed to helping you make your experience here as fulfilling and productive as possible. We want you to succeed, and will work with you every step of the way in helping you realize your goals.
The LLTC Student Handbook is filled with information to help you as you pursue your education in the Ojibwe capital of the world. It will be your key reference to the policies, procedures and structure of the college, and contains answers to most of the questions you may have. You will also be accountable for the information it contains, so please take time to become familiar with its contents.
Another important resource will be the staff and offices of Student Services. Student Services’ primary purpose is to work with our students in facilitating integration of student academic experience with all aspects of college and student life. We encourage all interactions and activities promoting a campus climate that supports academic success as well as personal and professional development through:
- Supporting teaching, learning and instruction at Leech Lake Tribal College
- Fully engaging our students in the College Experience
- Helping students to discover, develop, and use their strengths
- Promoting student success at every level
We wish and hope for every one of you success as you pursue your education in this special and extraordinary Anishinaabe place. And never forget that you are not alone – we are standing by to support you in any way we can as you work to take full advantage of the opportunities available to you at LLTC!
During the past five years, Leech Lake Tribal College has built a new college campus, we have obtained accreditation through the North Central Association of the Higher Learning Commission, and our student enrollment has steadily increased. Leech Lake Tribal College offers strong academic programs and student support services to assist you, and our dedicated faculty and staff are eager to share their knowledge with you.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes
Assessment of student learning is the systematic process of gathering, interpreting, and using information regarding student academic performance and perceptions for the purpose of improving student learning and the quality of academic programs. As part of its assessment efforts, Leech Lake Tribal College has articulated six competencies:
Cultural – Students will demonstrate an understanding of:
- Sense of place.
- What it is to be Anishinaabe.
- How to evaluate and interpret artistic, historical, and scientific events, texts, and trends within a global context.
Communication - Students will be able to present effectively information and ideas, both oral and written, by:
- Writing in Standard English.
- Writing in a variety of formats, using credible sources and citations.
- Using effective speaking skills in public presentations.
- Demonstrate interpersonal communication skills.
Critical Thinking – Students will be able to:
- Use scientific methods and other modes of inquiry to define problems:
- Access, evaluate, integrate, and document information.
- Develop logical arguments with evidence.
Computer Skills – Students will be able to:
- Use word processing for essays and other communication.
- Use spreadsheet software for communication, computation, and graphic data representation.
- Use presentation software for communication.
- Use internet and electronic resources for research and email for communication.
Quantitative Skills – Students will be able to:
- Propose solutions to and solve real-world problems by applying the correct scientific and numerical data.
- Use analytical and critical thinking skills to draw and interpret conclusions.
Reading Skills – Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate comprehension of college-level readings.
- Extend vocabulary through reading.